Search This Blog

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Surprising Research about Traditional Fishing - Danny Gibson


As I was searching the web, looking for something to post for this first blog.  I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but certainly not what I found! If you read through the article, what is explained is that not only commercial fishing, but also traditional fishing has adverse effects on the environment, in this case, the Great Barrier Reef.  The study shows that even using native "tools such as spears and hook-and-line" kills off substantial predators of the Crown-of-Thorns starfish.  This leads to population booms of the coral-eating starfish, and the decline of the living reef. 

While I figured I would be pulling up articles about the co-evalness of traditional fishing, I imagine that this data put into context would show some more insights.  It would be awesome to see this study compared against one on the effects of more modern commercial techniques. I would guess that newer methods would lead to more fishing of Crown-of-Thorns predators. I'll keep looking.

-Danny Gibson

No comments:

Post a Comment